Choosing the right professional to do any job can be a challenging process, even more so when faced with roof repairs. If an issue has been created by storm damage, there’s a great deal of urgency attached to getting the job done by a professional and reputable roofing contractor.
However, when faced with a pressing situation that requires urgent attention, or even if it’s a planned replacement, you shouldn’t be forced to accept the first contractor who knocks on your door. Professionalism, trust and honesty are important traits and you should expect anyone vying for your business to be keen to prove they are in possession of them.
But, how should you go about establishing which roof contractor to use? The National Federation of Roofing Contractors, of which we here at All Seasons are proud to be a member, offers the following advice :
- Select up to three contractors to look at the job. If possible, obtain recommendations from family, friends, neighbours or a reputable trade association.
- Ask each of them to give advice on which materials they would suggest using.
- Invite quotes from each contractor but do not automatically take the cheapest option. Base your choice on the quality of the advice given and your confidence in the contractor. Also, if in doubt, consult your local NFRC Regional Manager.
- Ask for a guarantee on new or refurbishment work. NFRC offers guarantee schemes which back up, but are independent of, the contractor’s own guarantee. Remember that even the best contractors can go out of business whereupon their own guarantees become worthless, so make sure you will be covered.
- Ensure that the quote or estimate selected is given to you in writing – except possibly for small emergency repairs.
- Bear in mind that ‘estimates’ for refurbishment work can change once the chosen contractor has removed the main covering (e.g. tiles/ slates) to expose the sub-structure underneath.
- Agree payment terms before the work commences. Be careful on upfront payments ensure you know what you are getting for any upfront payment. It may be difficult to get monies back. Contractors offering cash / VAT-free deals are not easily tracked down if things go wrong.
- Don’t expect to obtain free advice from contractors, unless you have a real intention to assign the contract to them.
- Remember that a property owner is responsible for any planning permission that may be required on that property.
- Please be aware that when carrying out refurbishment work to 50% or more of a roof’s area that either a CompetentRoofer (a Competent Person Scheme for roofing) must be employed or your Local Authority Building Control must be contacted prior to work starting. This is in order to confirm that the roof should be upgraded to meet thermal requirements of Part L of the current Building Regulations.
At All Seasons Industrial Roofing we have years of experience, superior quality control and a dedicated team offering excellent prices. We pride ourselves on being highly recommended by our customers for providing a quality and affordable service on all types of roofing.
If you’re looking for a Roofing Contractor in London for repairs or a new installation please call our friendly team at All Seasons Industrial Roofing on 020 8938 3498.